Saturday, July 31, 2010

Homemade English Muffins


Have I told you about my resolve to feed my family better? In a nutshell, I'm trying to stay away from processed foods as much a possible, so that includes cutting out high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, artifial sweeteners, and as much extra additives as possible. Plus, I recently got a Nutrimill grinder and have been trying out new recipes.


I used this recipe for English muffins and I am pretty impressed with how they turned out. They weren't very holey like store bought muffins are, but it might be because I used fresh ground hard white wheat flour to make them a little more healthy. When I added the amount of flour called for, it made the dough a little more stiff than I think it should've been, so you might want to add a little flour at a time. Even without the holes, they are delicious and I've been eating them for breakfast along with peanut butter and strawberry freezer jam. That combination of complex and simple carbohydrates, plus protein is enough that I really am not hungry again until lunch time. Love it!


Also, if you aren't going to be using these up within a few days, you should store them in the fridge or freezer. Mine started molding after about 5 days and I was annoyed! Then I realized that they aren't preservative laden like store bought and I felt better.

No comments:

Post a Comment